Everyday products



Gloves have really helped me in the kitchen, cleaning, doing art projects (crayons contain corn) and out in the environment with all of my allergies. I really like these!

There are many products available that you can use if you have just one allergy, but I need fragrance-free, BHA(BHT)- free, nickel free(iron-free) and corn free and free from products made from these. In addition to tomato, cinnamon and my newly found foe coconut.

It has helped to have a chemist, who has worked in the field of cosmetics and cleaners, as a father, a dermatologist as a friend, a nurse as a mother, as well as a trained chef as a brother. 

This combination of allergies limited my lotion and cosmetic choices drastically to Cera-ve moisturizing cream and lotion, Equate moisture care advanced recovery body lotion-fragrance free, Lacome Tiente Idole foundation (not the miracle-i made that mistake), and ironically cheap mascara which is still in trial mode.

I am currently using free and clear shampoo and conditioner, but unless you are going fragrance free, BHA free and nickel free, you might not need to go that extreme with hair care. Eos is a nice shampoo and conditioner for just corn-free. 
I use RoBathol bath oil for soap.

For deodorant, the best option I have found is the rock deodorant. Basically, you're putting salt under your arms to prevent odor, kind of like putting baking soda in the refrigerator. I tried an antiperspirant that was corn and fragrance-free, however, I just didn't like the slimy feel.

I have had success with fragrance free GG dish soap which I purchase at AJ's fine foods and haven't seen elsewhere. It's difficult to find completely corn free so wear gloves. 

Rather than use any sort of laundry softeners, I use 100% wool balls, I bought mine at Cost Plus World Market, but they are sold elsewhere, and they do prevent static cling. 

Fragrance free All and fragrance free Clorox 2 have worked for me as laundry detergent, but I know they don't work for everyone with corn allergies, so be aware of your reactions.

For cleaning surfaces, I suggest Anywhere by Clorox, it contains non of the above listed and can literally be used anywhere to disinfect, especially helpful in the kitchen.

As with this whole list, just because it works for me doesn't mean it will meet your needs.

I use natural silk floss and very specific toothpastes that do not list xylitol or any other corn based products, such as Tom's wicked cool mild mint kid's toothpaste. 

For Nickel specific types check out my blog post on nickel-free household products such as:

I use pot handle holders so I don't have to touch the metal on pots, pans and sinks. 

I switched over to ceramic knives.

Hopefully, you find a starting point here and work your way to your own success. There are few resources available for corn-free, even less for BHA/BHT-free, so add on if you want to provide your insights. Everyone's journey is different.

Comments